Close Reading of the American Dream
Seriously doubting my capability to do anything with this. All I have for DIDLS and close readings are questions, not answers or even musings. Whenever I think I am coming to conclusion, I'm always way off-base. Misinterpreting everything forever.
Is Albee being borderline sexist with the emasculation of Daddy? Why is his masculinity so important? What does it have to do with the American Dream?
The more we go over the American Dream, the less I see Grandma as having been the Dream, or Barker as being the corporation. That's not how that's supposed to work.
How do we separate absurdity from meaning?
"Good Works" is capitalized...how would an audience "get" that?
Open/Closed Prompts
Getting worse and worse at these.
Literary Terms
Hey I actually know something. Thanks to pop culture, "lampoon," "non sequiter," and "in medias res" are not a problem, but who decided to name different forms of repetition?
I won't understand litotes or chiasmus until I have a list of examples.
Paraprosdokian might be the equivalent of Arson, Murder, And Jaywalking
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI see where you're coming from with the "Good Works" thing, but maybe Albee also writes with the fact in mind that he will have an audience reading his play at some point in time? Or, perhaps he went through and changed things when he published the play to go along with his intentions? Certainly the audience at a play performance couldn't tell, but Albee would still have the same intentions that he could help his audience pick up on once the play is put in print. As for your misinterpretation, I think you'll pick up on it as me move through the class? I've for sure felt myself improving my abilities of reading further into literature compared with the start of the year, but I still feel lost at times too. Practice will help!
ReplyDeleteI like this post a lot. When I write, my brain works in a mathematical type way. Meaning, I tend to structure my posts as is blatantly implied (thus, in a boring manner) and always tend to strictly follow the "rules" in order to answer the questions and get the points. However, I think the way you set up your response to course-material was a lot more effective. While maybe you could stress a little more of what we did in class, your overall post is thorough and reflects your thoughts on what you have been accomplishing. So... me gusta. It helps me with my posts in the future.
ReplyDeleteHorray, no unnecessary fluff! Hmm, my interpretation of the emasculated Daddy... I found him a symbol of the American who is overwhelmed by the changes of new America, largely unambitious and just want to lead a content life, bowled over by the expectations of others. Daddy would be happier with a simple life, something Mommy's materialistic desires don't allow him to pursue.
ReplyDelete