9 October 2011—Response to Course Material

Syntax
If what's most important should be placed at the end of a sentence, when a writer wants to slip something past the readers, would he/she place it at the beginning of a sentence? Like, "gotcha!"
I use asyndeton, the omission of conjunctions, often.
When I look at things I've written, I see that I don't form sentences as if they're going to be read. I form them and punctuate them in the way I want them to be said. (Overcompensation of commas).

Theories of Humor and Comedy
I've been analyzing anything I laugh at on TV all week because of this. I have to disagree with the sixth requirement, that what's funny must be harmless. Seinfeld started pushing this limit in the 90s. On the commentary in one episode, one of the writers just says, "And another life ruined."
Now there's It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Wilfred, which are two of the meanest comedies I've ever seen. While "the gang" in It's Always Sunny is never harmed in the long-term sense, everyone around them is. Maybe this is refuted by the fact that it's not live comedy and not real-life human beings being harmed. It's all fake. But still.

Theatre of the Absurd
"The play seems to end in precisely the same condition it began, with no real change having occurred."
It's Always Sunny and Seinfeld, again.
The distrust of language is postmodern. Thank you, British Literature.

American Dream
 How much can you fly past the radar while also blatantly ignoring the radar in every other sense?

2 comments:

  1. Your first point about syntax is my favorite! I can't imagine purposely putting something first in hopes that a reader would miss the point. However, I'm not sure that is ultimately what authors are going for. I think it is more to leave their strongest point with the audience after they are finished reading. Yet, I continue to question the conscious act of using syntax. As in this case, do writers consciously put their most important point last and in doing this purposely slip other things in first? Or is it done almost subconsciously?

    On a different note, I agree with you that the theories of humor and comedy are changing with time. It does seem that today, things that make you laugh are also ultimately used to cause harm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use assyndeton frequently as well. I think poetry is really about causing a little bit of confusion.Poets seem to like to hide the meaning in a very elaborate puzzle. Is Wilfred funny? I've never seen it, but I like the idea of Frodo playing opposite a guy in a dog suit.

    ReplyDelete