1989. In questioning the value of literary realism, Flannery O'Connor has written, "I am interested in making a good case for distortion because I am coming to believe that it is the only way to make people see." Write an essay in which you "make a good case for distortion," as distinct from literary realism. Analyze how important elements of the work you choose are "distorted" and explain how these distortions contribute to the effectiveness of the work. Avoid plot summary.
The use of satire as an outlet for social criticism was especially prominent before the twentieth century. In his essay entitled A Modest Proposal, eighteenth century British writer Jonathon Swift took the use of satire to new heights in his effort to expose the socioeconomic and moral issues of his day. In accordance with his ironic title, Swift's proposal is ostentatious and gruesomely unrealistic, his persona pretentious and cruel. His outlandish portrayal of the wealthy and his repugnant proposal were meant to shock his readers into recognizing the moral distortion in the world around them.
Swift uses a persona who claims to be unbiased and reasonable, but who very quickly is revealed to be exactly the opposite. In elevated language, he suggests that the poor of Ireland be bred, sold, and eaten by the rich (English landowners). He even elaborates the process down to specifics like what fraction of males and females will be left to breed and after what length of time from birth a baby would be available for sale. He lists the various benefits that would result from his suggestion, going from the immediate effect of lessening the amount of poor plaguing the streets to recommended recipe ideas. In a moment of sincerity, Swift compares this cannibalism to that metaphorically taking place between England and Ireland.
The persona's clear distortion of morality and preposterous proposal were a means of circumventing direct criticism of his time and the English monarchy. In the 1700s, writers had to be careful in vocalizing their opinions in fear of repercussions. Satire was a way to fly under the radar.
However, the extreme images Swift uses more effectively invoke emotional responses from readers than a straight forward, realistic proposal would. In his essay, he does list his legitimate ideas under his persona's clarification that they are everything society should avoid doing. Without the distorted context around them, the ideas wouldn't be fully emphasized, and readers wouldn't be emotionally vulnerable enough to feel that emphasis.
In his highly satirical A Modest Proposal, Jonathon Swift criticizes social issues involving eighteenth century Ireland and England. His warped persona and proposal protected him from possible punishment for his commentary, but also struck the emotions of his readers more so than a truly modest proposal could.
Good thesis, I knew exactly where you were going.
ReplyDeleteI feel like the third paragraph could have been lumped with the first, they both really focus on the use of persona. Perhaps some more detail in the third paragraph; what phrases cut particularly deeply? I'd say gloves of baby skin.
Legitimate use of language is rare to find; many people misuse words in their attempt to sound scholarly.... Your command of language is impressive.
ReplyDeleteI like the flow to this essay. Well-structured paragraphs, good topic sentences that support the thesi-- it's all there.
Cassidy Murphy
First of all, I appreciate that you go to a text that I know you know well. I think your argument is good and fits well with both the text and prompt. What I see in your thesis is what could be construed as an entirely new argument that initially I expected you to pursue. It says that his essay is "meant to shock", this presents you with the opportunity to explain why it doesn't. You don't and so I almost took it as that you didn't remember your thesis and that you were developing one as you went. I would just be careful in the wording, especially because the goal is to present an analysis that supports a subjective argument in the most sophisticated of essays.
ReplyDelete