How much of the actual prose of Ceremony came naturally to Leslie Marmon Silko?
This novel is so dense with hidden quips and metaphors, references, etc., on a sentence-by-sentence basis. I want to audit other sections of the class to hear what more they're discussing. I know second hour never went over the holocaust reference at the train station, with the little boy who represents Rocky.
There are differences between Rocky and Emo, both poisonous characters, that alter my perception of "antagonist." Emo is more completely evil; he was always a violent, power seeking machine. But Rocky is partially the product of Auntie, of Indian school, of his environment. You can hate Emo for all that he is, but with Rocky, you can't.
Last week, Holmes mentioned that one of the reasons she has us do the close readings is so that we're exposed to more adult vocabulary, but aren't articles typically written for the middle school/fifth grade reading level? I do see that editorials, opinion pieces, and reviews do not have to cater to as broad of an audience as straight news. Their emphasis on persuasiveness may require more complex vocabulary, especially for ethos.
No comments:
Post a Comment