Part I: Thinking Outside of the Immediate Text

This course emphasizes the need to recall previously-read texts during analysis of another. One should (must, really) learn to be prepared to recognize allusions, parallels, similarities, and points of contrast (whether intended or not) between works, regardless of how long it's been since the other texts were read/reviewed.

The more of other texts one is able to recognize in another helps him/her identify new, more in-depth meanings and may change the perspective from which those past texts are seen.

It is also essential to maintain this sort-of mental anthology to understand different eras/schools/genres of literature and how they come to be/operate.

3 comments:

  1. I think this was an improtant point to bring up, but I'm not sure it deserved it's own post. There's is only so much you can talk about this subject without bringing in loads of examples. Either I would tag this to the end of another post or expand on it and show an example or two about the actual application of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was good to include, because it i integral to the class but not discussed often. It was all we focused on over the summer and early in the year, so I think its important to recognize. Without understanding motifs, allusions, etc., it would be hard to understand any piece of literature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Examples would be helpful =) Also, you could roll this post into a more inclusive category including info on Foster, allusions, terms, and so on. Cool idea for a post, though!

    ReplyDelete